A heartbreaking 1 in 3 children in Chicago live below the federal poverty line in families struggling to provide even the most basic items. And we know from our mothers that this means they often face decisions that no parent should ever have to make – choosing between food or clean diapers, paying a medical bill or rent, shifting from crisis to crisis instead of being able to focus on bonding, nurturing, and caregiving.
At Share Our Spare we believe in a community-based approach to breaking this cycle of generational poverty in Chicago and ensuring ALL of Chicago’s kids have access to the essentials. Our operating model relies heavily on the collection of items from individuals and corporations with extras to spare, and the volunteers and social service agencies that help us get these items to the families who need them most.
Our donations include any item critical to the early years including diapers, wipes and personal care items along with gently used clothing, baby gear, books and toys.
Our Corporate Partners are critical to this community-based approach and can offer support to Share Our Spare in a variety of ways:
- In Kind Donations – Supplies like diapers, wipes, baby soap, body lotion, diaper cream, bottles, and pacifiers are some of the biggest needs for our families.
- Excess Inventory –We partner with many well-known retail brands that donate excess or slightly damaged inventory to our families. Essential needs include coats, shoes, underwear, socks, and general/seasonal clothing. We are often in need of clothing for boys sizes 3T – 5T.
- On Site Collection Drives – Many of our corporate sponsors host company-wide collection drives benefitting Share Our Spare, making it easy for employees to give back to their community. Collection drives can be targeted (diapers and wipes) or general. A full list of items we accept for donation can be found here.
- Kitting Events – Corporate sponsors can make a donation to purchase supplies for our newborn and personal care kits, and assemble these bundles on site, making volunteering accessible to employees and their families.
- Group Volunteer Events – We are always in need of extra hands at the Sharehouse! Email email@example.com to schedule a private event where your employees can sort, inventory, and assemble clothing bundles at our River West warehouse.
- Charitable Giving -If your organization offers a company match for employee donations, or has other focused opportunities for philanthropy, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss other ways to support Share Our Spare.